Full course description
Academic Writing (TB1): This course will prepare you with the language and skills necessary to succeed in your postgraduate SEC written assignments. Key areas will be covered, including: structuring the different sections of reports, using sources and referencing and commenting on data and trends.
Dissertations (TB2): This course aims to support and develop your MSc Dissertation/ Project writing: to prepare you for the demands which will be placed on your language / writing skills during the dissertation. Each class will provide opportunities for the development of vocabulary, accuracy, content organisation and coherence in writing. The focus will be on the purpose, structure and language required for different parts of the dissertation and on how to achieve a coherent, effective piece of extended writing.
Every effort will be made to ensure that course content is relevant to the needs of the group and to your studies. To help you achieve the course aims, you should spend some additional time relating the work of each session to your dissertation and you should bring examples of on-going work to each class.
The course will include the following:
- Report and essay structure and organisation
- Referencing, bibliographies, quoting and paraphrasing
- Presenting results
- Data commentary, trends and change
- Discussion and analysis
- Vocabulary of experiments and tests
- The key features of an MSc Dissertation/ Project
- Writing the research proposal
- Writing a critical literature review
- Analysis of different sections: purpose, structure and language of introductions, literature reviews, materials and methods, results and discussion, conclusion sections