Full course description
Course Aims and Objectives
This course is designed to help you produce well written and well-structured work in a style which is suitable for your Law assignments. The course will include a review of the lexical and grammatical structures used in a formal style of writing. In addition, focus will be given to referencing for Law, and on understanding what the essay question requires you to do. To help achieve the course aims, we expect you to spend some additional time relating the work of each session to your own academic subject. We expect you to bring examples of past and on-going work to class so that the course stays focused on your needs.
· Writing for law students: legal problem essays and discursive essays
· Referencing skills: in-text citation and bibliographies
· Paragraph and sentence structure
· Criticality and evaluation: developing logical reasoning, identifying bias, strength of claim and modality.
· Developing reading skills for law: cases, statutes, legal reports, law reviews
· Developing lexical accuracy: scope of law, contracts, employment, criminal, civil, international, tort, European Union
· Dissertation writing